Mr. Coffee VBX23 12 cup coffeemaker
The VBX23 is a 12-cup coffee maker that comes in a stylish black finish and programmable features, removable filter basket and auto-shut off dual water windows.
- The Brewing Pause n’ Serve feature is perfect for those who are always in a hurry to get their coffee in the morning and run. The machine goes into pause when you remove the carafe from the machine and resumes brewing when you place the machine back.
- The removable filter lifts up easily for easy cleaning and filling.
- Two-hour auto shut off keeps your pot of coffee warm for you.
- The warming plate is easy to clean and is stain-resistant.
This machine makes a good hot cup of coffee without the burnt taste that is common in less expensive coffee makers. The temperature is not too hot and can be set to brew hours in advance. There’s a two-hour auto shut off that warms up the coffee before it automatically turns off.
The coffee maker’s removable parts are easy to clean, although there are other parts like the pivoting arm that are not. Also, the water that condenses on the inner portion of the lid funnels neatly back into the reservoir and doesn’t spill.
This machine comes with a few design flaws, among them the lid for the water chamber and the two holes at the back meant to prevent overfilling the water chamber. First, one has to open the lid all the way, when in the past same models only had the lid covering the water chamber and not the entire machine.
means that you have to open the lid on the edge of the counter, because it may be too high if you open it under the kitchen cabinets. The two holes at the back drip water onto the counter when you overfill the reservoir.
The carafe also tends to drip all over the cup and the counter. Another design flaw is the movable water arm over the filter basket which you have to move aside every time you have to remove or replace the filter. This arm also tends to be the first one to break down after several months of use.
The coffee pot dribbles all the time which is a reason why you should have a table napkin handy to wipe spills off the counter. The sneak-a-cup feature is also a hassle for most users. Pros
- Makes a good cup of coffee without the burnt taste
- Temperature is ok, not too hot unlike other coffee maker brands
- Removable parts are easy to clean
- Water that condenses on the inner surface of the lid flows back to the reservoir without splashing onto the counterCons
- Design flaws abound like the lid for the water chamber and the two holes at the back that are meant to prevent overfilling of the water chamber. When the chamber is overfilled, water flows out and drips into the counter
- Carafe drips all over the cup and the counter
- Pivoting arm over the filter needs to be pulled aside when filling or cleaning the filter
- Sneak-a-cup feature is hard to master and often ends up being a hassle